Monday, August 26, 2013

My Reputation Precedes Me

I got a call this morning from my boss who left me a message.  It said, in so many words:

I got a call from a provider (director of a child care center) in Kershaw that you worked with when you were with DSS and she said she would rather not have you in her facility. 

Um....ok. 

When I was with DSS-Licensing I regulated child care centers.  My job was to look for things that were wrong.  I realize that it didn't make me popular, I didn't care about that.  By pointing out that you don't have any covers in your electric sockets I know I was working for the health and safety of children. 

But this hit hard.  Hurt my feelings a little bit.  This means two things.  One, I didn't have the relationship I thought I did with providers in Kershaw and two, I'm losing my hard DSS shell. 

I wish the providers could see it how I do.  Here is a person who was a director of a center, worked with DSS for 5 years and now I can come into your center FOR FREE and help you with ANYTHING.  Um, I know some stuff.  Throw me a bone here. 

But I digress.  I will continue helping those that didn't know me as a "Regulator."

No comments:

Post a Comment